From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 01:25:12 -0400
forwarded from the archivist listserv

pak

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tanya Zanish-Belcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Aug 31, 2005 11:26 AM
Subject: [ARCHIVES] Messages from outside of New Orleans
To: [log in to unmask]

All,

This is the most recent message I have from Susan Tucker, archivist at
Newcomb College (Tulane) and she asked that I share with others.
Susan is in Alexandra, Louisiana, and has a hot mail account.  Tanya

*************************
August 31:
Thanks, much Tanya, I went to the archivists website and saw messages
from  yesterday.  Hotmail will not let forwarded messages go through,
so I  couldn't see the messages you tried to forward.  I think all of
us from New  Orleans just continue very wary that all is okay since
the information from  the national news sources that  we are receiving
keeps getting worse and  worse. Cell phones with the 504 area code are
not working, or at times, we  can call out to other places but cannot
call each other.

Of course, our first worry is for the people and our second worries for
homes.  I cannot watch the television without crying.  I also resent
terribly that there is coverage of looting. I am sure that many people
are  performing miraculous tasks of devotion and duty and leadership
and  neighborliness to one another.  The people of New Orleans are
very civic  minded and we do well in crowds -- that is what we do.
There are people in  the superdome holding classes, providing games
for children, cleaning  constantly, and so forth.  We need doctors and
nurses and boats. We need  more police.  We are a poor city to begin
with....

What might help is some sort of coverage of the city neighborhood by
neighborhood but that is not coming from any source. That would help
all the  evacuees and according to most sources, we number 1 million
people dispersed  now in other parts of Louisiana, Texas, and
Mississippi.  I have tried to  reach various news services with this
suggestion but who knows if this  suggestion goes through.  Also,
there is no list of names of people in hotels  and superdomes.  I know
I am asking for a lot. I would like the levees  repaired first!  My
boyfriend, as I said, is in his attic, and every three  hours until
yesterday at noon, his cell phone had updates that had a great  deal
of humor besides a gravity and real scare about them.  He is very
savvy  and good with boats, etc. and has food and water for a week,
but....

RE archives, in general and Tulane and others in particular....The news
yesterday from Tulane's emergency site said that there is an emergency
leadership team in Jackson Mississippi from Tulane, now deciding on a
plan,  but since the second levee broke yesterday -- I am less hopeful
that this  plan will let us go back and see how our repositories are
faring.

The good new is that according to flood maps the area Uptown -- where
Tulane, Loyola, Xavier, Dominican archives are  ---  is on a higher
ground  than most in the city -- by maybe a foot.  The French Quarter
is higher than  other areas....and this is where HNOC is located. The
Notarial Archives are  now in a tall building on an upper floor. What
we need to worry about most  is probably New Orleans  Public Library.

I believe the archival community can help in about a week with all
this. For  now, it is very good to hear of the concerns of others.
Thank you much.   You can share this with others but correct my
spelling! writing quickly, all  best, Susan

A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by
the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va