From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 07:42:30 -0700
Larry, since the Listserv didn't recognize this address, could you forward

this for me? Thanks!

Subject: Re: after the storm

From: "Tim Barnard" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Wed, August 31, 2005 3:26 pm

To: "Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>

 We live in Long Beach, MS, about 1/2 mile inland, but hopefully high

enough that the storm surge didn't get that far. I've had some reports

from friends that our church and most houses near the beach were wiped

out, but other homes inland sustained minimal damage. We don't know about

ours yet - this is the first time in 20 years we have evacuated. I'm glad

we did, but we're stuck in a motel in Auburn, AL for a couple more days.

 I recognized our courthouse apparently intact in one of the videos, but I

haven't heard from anyone from work to know for sure. Our offsite storage

facility is not near a flood plain (we checked that this spring when we

renewed our contract with them), but I don't know how well it would have

weathered the winds.

 Mississippi Power Company, which covers the southeast part of the state,

has two power plants - one was damaged and shut down; the other was okay

but all the transmission lines were down, so this whole area from Meridian

south will be without power for a while. (By the way, Larry said Miss.

Power's RM Gail Ann McCreary, who also lives in Long Beach, is okay, along

with family, house and all but one of their dogs.)

 My plans to go to ARMA Chicago included riding the train from New Orleans.

Right now I don't think that will happen, and if we're still without

power, I'm not sure I'll be able to go at all.

  Thanks to all for your concern! Keep us all in your prayers! I'm sure a

lot of records in various places will be lost; I'm hoping ours are not

among them!

 Tim Barnard

Records Management Clerk

Harrison County, MS