From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:54:46 -0700
Perhaps a very direct letter from an attorney would help.

Contact Duke Energy HQ in Charlotte.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/01/05 09:08AM >>>
> Subject: Re: IT Centers in North Carolina - Question about Fire
> Suppression
>
> Hugh, have the fire official prove/define the state law or fire code
> establishing that NC does not allow clean agent fire suppression
> systems.
>
> Best regards, Steve
> Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
> Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

They have done so and they quote where it says in the beginning of the
NFPA 75 Standard that "sprinklered buildings hall have sprinkler
protection in all areas of the building."  But they ignore the part of
the Standard that states that in areas that house computer equipment
that clean agent gaseous agents should be considered.  They also
ignore
that we have sprinklers on top of the vault so the over sprinkler
system in the building is not being changed from its present status.
But this fire official has backed himself into a corner and will not
consider other language.

My only recourse is to show other data centers in other jurisdictions
that have been able to do exactly what we want to do which is use gas
fire suppression in the data center server vault.  I am not really
trying to find data centers in his jurisdiction but in Charlotte or
Winston Salem or Greensboro as he can simply state in Raleigh Durham
that they are on a new requirement but if i can sow other parts of the
state allow the NFPA 75 Standard to be used as it is written for
national use, then he will consider allowing our equivalency design.

> I would however discourage anyone from publicly "outing" themselves
or
> their
> organization if they are using the more logical and approved methods
> of fire
> suppression in these environments, especially if you're operating in
> this
> fire officials jurisdiction.
>
> You would be best off sending your responses to Hugh (or contacting
> him by
> phone) privately and discussing your protection scenarios.
>

> Larry Medina
> Danville, CA
> RIM Professional since 1972

I would prefer you call me as I would have a few questions to ask as
well. Plus I am on digest version so I do not see your comments until
midnight when the Digest version is delivered.

With regards to Larry's comment, again I need a another municipality
other than Raleigh Durham to win this battle.  But even if you are in
Durham County, a fire marshal is not legally allowed to come in and
retroactively make you bring your existing operation up to another
newer standard once your permit and occupancy permit are in hand.
NFPA
Standards change all the time.  Only when you apply for a new permit
for a new building permit does this impact you.  But even in this case
the latest NFPA Standards back up our design method.

Please call me at 610 756-4440 if you have a data center with gas fire
suppression rather than water sprinklers over the computers or if you
are in North Carolina and you would simply provide a contact name for
your data center and a phone number or email address for your IT
manager. This could just be emailed to me. email: [log in to unmask]

Ironically one of the large data centers for the State of North
Carolina operates with gas fire suppression and they have a rule
posted
that you cannot enter the Server room with even a bottled water or cup
of coffee.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134