From:
"Parapadakis, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:07:38 +0100
Laurie, Heather - thanks for your responses

Very valid points, but not insurmountable. Before I go on I have to say
that I have no commercial interest in this. Occasionally a clever idea
hits you between the eyes and you think: why isn't everyone doing this,
there must be a catch. I must be missing something. This is one of these
cases and my interest is purely academic.

Some more thoughts:

Fire - you would do exactly what you do with paper. If the fire was to
destroy the plastic, it would certainly destroy the paper. But when
records are wrapped in plastic, you can spray the fire area to your
heart's content without worrying about damaging the paper records!

Weight - You don't put 40% more records in a box, you make the
"standard" box 40% smaller! That way the indexing does not change, there
are still 1000 pages in a box and the weight per box stays the same. In
terms of the shelving, well, you might need slightly stronger shelves,
although I suspect that there should be enough allowances for weight
variations on a shelf.

Costs - Suppose I am IM and I want to offer this as a service. I can
reduce my storage costs by 40% and still charge the same per box. The
savings in storage space will probably pay for the equipment and the
extra labour to do the vacuum packing. Some clients might even be
prepared to pay a premium for the reduced risk service.

I sound like I'm selling the stuff, don't I? :-) Well I don't! I just
think it makes sense, and I'm just curious to understand what prevented
this idea from taking off, if it's been around for 6 years or so.

Regards
George