From:
Bridgette Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 19:06:48 -0400
I talked with Brenda Square, Director of Archives & Library at the Amistad
Research Center (ARC). While I was down in New Orleans for the SAA meeting,
I met up with Brenda for a tour of their facility. She happened to give me
her cell phone number in case I needed to contact her while I was down
there. Proof that God does work in mysterious ways. The ARC is located in
Tilton Hall on the campus of Tulane University.

Here is the news from Brenda:

Friday (8/26), Brenda encouraged the staff at the ARC to heed the advice of
evacuating. They exchanged phone numbers so they could contact one another
should the need arise. Mr. Hampton, the ARC's Executive Director, was out
of town on other business, so Brenda was sure he was safe.

Saturday (8/27), Brenda was at the ARC taking down their art exhibit to put
the works in storage, and moving items to the second floor. She said that
thankfully, over the past few years they have been moving important, vital
records and collections to the second floor. "The off-site storage is up
high," Brenda said.

Sunday (8/28), Brenda made her way to a friend's house in Baton Rouge where
they rode out Katrina. She mentioned that she saw Sandra Wallace on the
highway as they were both leaving town.

Wednesday (8/31), Brenda was able to access the internet at a local
university campus. She was able to read Tulane's emergency web site updates
through that day, and that is all she knows about the status of Tulane and
the ARC.

I talked to Brenda this morning and just a little bit ago at 4:45pm. She is
still unable to reach any of her staff by phone, and has not heard any
updates on Tulane or the ARC. I am acting as a point person for her -
attempting to contact some of the staff, keeping track of Tulane's updates,
and keeping Brenda informed as much as I can. I have tried to reach Mr.
Hampton on his cell phone, but as general news updates show, the 504 area
code is giving the "all circuits are busy" recording. As of this afternoon,
Brenda and her family are on their way to her oldest son's house in Dallas.
I said I would keep trying to make contact with the people she gave me
phone numbers for, and touch base with her from time to time.

Brenda's final comments before we hung up were, "Thank you all for your
prayers. Please continue to keep us all in your prayers."

Sincerely,

Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Archivist & Records Manager
United Church of Christ
700 Prospect Avenue
Cleveland, OH  44115
(p) 216-736-2106  (f) 216-736-2203
(Toll free phone) 1-866-UCC-UCC4 (822-8224) x2106
http://www.ucc.org/aboutus/archives/index.html
God Is Still Speaking...