From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:19:15 -0400
Bill,

Thanks for your comments on the Strategic Plan.  I'll be eager to see the
comments of others on both the vision and the mission, and do know that each
of us is apt to have a slightly different preference for the language. I
like your language, and what the group came up with during the meeting.

With regard to the changes in the Strategic Plan, especially the radar
screen issues, I do want to indicate that there was no effort to mold either
to decisions that have already been made.  That is not something that I
observed at all.  I think that all present made an effort to refine what had
been developed last year.  I believe that we did try to more closely align
the strategies with the radar screen issues, and to refine the strategies to
something that we might be able to achieve.

As for the explanation of changes, I'd recommend that anyone with a question
regarding a change feel free to ask it.  I'm not quite sure how we might
best provide information on the discussion, without replaying it in its
entirety for all, and am not sure how much of the discussion our members and
others would really want to hear.

While we have achieved a great deal in over 50 years, some of the issues and
challenges we face would be difficult to pose in a positive fashion, or
might be viewed as being "sugar-coated" if we were to fail to express them
in rather concrete terms.

As for the chapter related question, I do think of chapters as a great
resource for members (the primary resource for most), and a significant
potential asset as we move forward with our marketing efforts........ and am
curious about your thoughts on that particular change.

Fortunately, as a participant this year, I and a few other "rookies" were
able to take advantage of the truly hard work done last year, and hope that
we're actually building on that.  I don't think that the issues that face us
(radar screen issues) have changed substantially since last year, and am of
the opinion at the moment, that the restatement of those issues has been
positive, and that the effort to restate the Strategies reflects a more
direct effort to address the radar screen issues......

I'm sure that more discussion will follow and appreciate you making the
effort to kick the discussion off!  Don't take my comments as any effort to
limit discussion, but just an expression of my individual point of view and
information on what I observed.

Thanks!!!!

Doug Allen