From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:11:01 -0600
Survey sez!!!
I really want to thank all of the participants in this ECM - Enterprise Content
Management survey.  I do realize that some organizations feel that participating
in such surveys tends to give away a measure of competitive intelligence ... and
I understand their reluctance.  But this list is for the most part committed to
sharing information; it is a family to which the ARMA conference list serve
parties are a simple testament.  Sorry I can't make Chicago mebbe Texas though
... I am sure someone will hoist a cold dark beer on my behalf.
So as promised, here is the link to the aggregate results ... 118 participants.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/Report.asp?U=128396735662
I have already spent some time turning the results into powerpoint slides as I
hope to provide some of this information to our local ARMA chapter ... possibly
in September.  The information looks great by the way.

Highlights - Hi-lites (my contribution to Canadian-American bilingualism)
60% of  respondents are large companies >1000 staff
35% of respondents are government
30 % are in planning mode and 70% are building a real live ECM.
Reasons for moving to the ECM world - 80% -better records control; 54% -
productivity; 52% - risk management; 47% better governance
51% of respondents have >$250,000 budget and some 20% are in it for 1million +.
55% have no interest in web content management ... hmmm!
Specifically 50/118 are using an ECM system
34 of those 50 are using a product from the leader segment of Gartner's Magic
Quadrant Oct 2004
40% have more than 100 users
68% have set up their system in the last 3 years.   ... Whew! Talk about rapid
growth.
Training choices tend to support business unit training + individual support.
38% are avoiding the legacy data - document issues.
53% use a dedicated IT support person in-house.  And 74% are using a help desk.
53% of the systems in use can enter a document in LESS than 15 seconds.
21 % of the on-going systems have more than 1 million documents on line.

This is the reality of ECM.
In the last 5 organizations that have been clients of my company, e-records
comprise more than 70% of all records.  Whether we like it or not we are
"e-records" managers now.  And apparently from this list response there are many
of us out there dealing with e-records - "gitting - r -done" ... I believe that
is the current expression.
I hope that this information will support each of you in your work either by
validating what you believed was happening in the real world ... or by giving
you a sense of what appear to be  ECM best practices.  Use the information
wisely and just remember to cite Jim's 2005 ECM survey.
Finally, the comments and advice that many of you provided, are nothing short of
GOLD!  I look forward to publishing an analysis of this material and including
some of the very pithy yet apt comments that we received.

Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly
St. Albert, Alberta