From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:08:39 -0500
Laurie,  Debra gave some pretty sound advice on Discontinued/divested
operations.  This same advice would work on M&A of operations.  The thing
I would warn you on would be the assumptions.  Very seldom are employee's
at the level to make those decisions involved with /or on the team
creating the sale or shutdown.  Alot of it has to do with the SEC- if you
are a publically held company and the laws on insider trading.  In other
situations the employer will use the need to know philosophy and not think
about the RIM implications.  We currently have a RIM checklist that
includes about 30-40 question on RIM during the M&A process and I'm trying
to do the same thing for discontinued/divested units.  These should be a
day 1 checklist but even then the secrecy sometimes overshadows
completion.  Some of these assumptions could open up the business entity
to some large legal risks so be sure you know the assumptions are correct
or be willing to accept the risk if not.  My 2 cents

Steve Petersen CRM
Sr. Records Administrator
Rockwell Collins Inc
319.295.5244