From:
Carolyn Trim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:27:36 -0500
 It is extremely  hard to do so when you  do  not live in a recognized flood
zone.

This statement is not so.  I have worked in records and mortgages for the
past twenty plus years. Part of my experience was managing all of the flood
maps for 8 states back when they were on paper for a home builder.  I could
fligh over cities and see the subdivisions and know where I was because of
the layouts.

First because of natural layouts there are some places that flood.  And man
builds there any way.  My parents built in a spillway of a river --their
home had to be on pylons at least 15 feet above the flood level.  There are
natural flows in the land that water follows.  As people build more and more
buildings there is an ice cube affect.  So where it did not flood five years
ago, it may flood now because there are more homes. Homeowners insurance
does not cover this problem.

Another thing that can affect water in a home is when they resurface
streets.  Instead of digging up the streets in an area of a city, they will
resurface.  Do this several times over twenty years and you change the
entire elevation of a where water naturally went to the street and then the
drains.  Now it floods in the homes when it rains.  Homeowners insurance
does not cover this problem.

There are many many flood zones A,Z,X, etc. Flood insurance is available
either through your private insurance agencies or sometimes the government.
If your home is in a high risk zone--it does cost more than if it is in a
low risk zone (Zone A versus Zone C).

If you lived in the New Orleans area, no matter where, everyone should have
had flood insurance  --and I won't go into then who really needs extra
money.  You can get flood insurance on contents and the house.  And no, your
homeowners insurance doesn't cover contents damaged by rising water.

I live in Houston.  My home is in a Zone C -- which is considered a none
Flooding Zone.  But, I do have flood insurance-- I have had it on the ones I
have owned, and the contents when I have rented. At least once a year it
floods somewhere in Houston, no matter what zone.  And after they just
showed the new Hurricane model for a cat 5 for this area -- I will need it
no matter what.

For those of you that own homes, I recommend reviewing the development and
such around your home periodically -- if things have changed drastically
--double check with your agent maybe it would be wise to buy it even if you
are not in a high risk zone --especially if you see water creeping around
ever so often.  I think mine is only $314 a year.  You never know when
mother nature will decide to be a real mother.  And for us, once a hurricane
is in the Gulf, you can't purchase flood insurance--too late.  Also, if you
decide to buy it after you own the home, there is a 30 day waiting period.
There is no waiting period if you buy it when you buy the home.

I will go back to other records.

Carolyn Trim
Houston