Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:57:51 -0400
I have a question for this esteemed group - I have been trying to get a
handle on training record retention, particularly when training is done by
multiple departments and the records are not standardized.   In an effort to
standardize these records I would like to know if others have encountered
this problem and how it was solved (or not).    Many training sessions have
a sign-in sheet where all employees sign in on a single page - are companies
copying this to include in an employee's training record or are the
departments that provide the training retaining these records without
concern for the record being placed in an individual's file?    How long are
these records then retained?  Obviously, some training is required, such as
FDA or OSHA, while other training is merely company specific to policies,
such as Code of Ethics, or department, like Information Technology.  Should
they all be treated the same and provide a single retention requirement - or
should there be specific training retentions based upon the specific
training being completed - and should it be retained in the employee file or
not?   Any suggestions on how your company handles these issues would be
greatly appreciated.  I am trying to think outside the box - while still
finding a solution that is fairly easy.

Thanks to all.

Rae Cogar

RCS Consulting