From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:39:44 -0700
Carmen:

Do not think of these as separate products.  If you do  you will end up with
two independent silos that probably won't work well together.  If you can
get the county to look at the total organization, that would be even better,
since the Waste Management solution won't be separate from the Finance, HR,
Building, etc. department's solutions.

A number of vendors (FileNet, IBM, Hyland, LaserFiche, etc.) might fit your
needs.  However, it sounds like you haven't identified your needs or the
benefits possible from implementing technology for any of the problems.

My advice is to stop looking at vendors and figure out what the problem(s)
is/are.  The way I explain this to clients is with cars -- everyone can
relate. A jaguar is a nice car, and fun to look at, but have I first looked
at whether I need to transport a large family or lumber? And how important
are all of these needs - important enough to make me buy a van or a pickup?

If you want, contact me off line for a more in depth discussion.

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, ICP, AIIM MIT
Principal
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA   98040
(office) 206-230-9253
(cell) 206-979-7389