From:
Sharon Blackstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:51:13 -0600
I'm coming into this conversation late, so forgive me if I make observations that are overly repetitive, but just had a conversation here at work yesterday about this very subject, though not related to compliance issues. We will soon be installing LaserFiche 7, our imaging system, which has an e-mail storage component, so our IT folks, who've been working with me on developing an e-mail management training program, and trying to be helpful, pulled together a meeting to look at the possibilities. Which of course scared me to death, being a chicken anyway, but wanting myself to stay open to any idea ...

Some in the group were a little surprised that I was not thrilled about the idea of having 900 users "send their record e-mail" to LaserFiche. They have caught onto the concept of content as the determining factor when deciding what e-mails to keep and what to delete, but are looking for that easy magic solution for what to do next, and I guess I can't think outside the box enough to believe there is one, yet. They thought it would be "neat" if everyone had a "Sharon's Email Folder" (put your own name in), to which I said, "and what case file is that?" As long as our case files are still primarily paper-based, and we don't image the files until after a case is closed/finalized, you know me, I'm the "Print and File Queen" (sorry, Steve).

By the way, I've been using a WAG figure of 2% of our e-mail is record, most of it short-term. Anyone know if I'm anywhere in the ballpark? Yes, I know I need to survey/inventory our users; it's on the list ...

Sharon G. Blackstock, CRM
Central Records Administrator
Lakewood City Clerk's Office
Phone: 303-987-7091
Fax: 303-987-7088
Email: [log in to unmask]

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business, is subject to the Colorado Open Records Act and may be released to the public.