From:
Laura Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:43:53 -0700
I'm the Records Manager for a mid-sized law firm in San Diego,
California and have a question about a topic I haven't seen raised here
lately...  Has anyone handled a conversion of paper client files to an
electronic media before (in-house)?  My administrator and I have been
discussing the possibility of  converting closed client files to some
sort of electronic media (in pdf form), destroying the paper, and then
holding onto the electronic media to fulfill retention requirements.
Our goal is to reduce our off-site storage costs.

The process would be completed on a file by file basis whenever a matter
is closed. What should be done about "certifying" each CD/DVD/Tape (I'm
not sure what we'll end up using as the final format - obviously
capacity is a consideration.  I was a micrographics department
supervisor many moons ago and remember some of the processes we used to
go through in documenting each microfilm roll)and what about indexing?
I'm sure there are a lot of other questions/processes I should be
thinking of.

If anyone knows of any meaningful written works on the subject that I
could use in my research, I would be grateful for the suggestions.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Laura A. Steinberg