From:
Laura Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:47:07 -0700
 I've gotten, and read, many responses to my question, and I'd like to
thank you all for your input.  To answer some of the common questions
you've asked in return - because of the nature of our law practice
(homeowner association representation, along with construction defect
litigation)our files are quite voluminous once each matter has been
concluded (it's not unusual for one matter to be contained in 20-50
"standard size" boxes); we contract with our clients to hold their files
for a period of years after the completion of their case (after which
they must accept responsibility for their destruction or transfer to
their own storage facility)and to satisfy the California Statute of
Limitations regarding Attorney Malpractice, (for our own protection, of
course).  Larry mentions the costs imposed on us by our commercial
records center...and he's right about the charges for every service we
ask them to provide.  It ends up not just being the cost to store, but
includes incoming data creation fees, retrieval fees, transportation
fees (and with the price of gasoline these days....)for the files coming
to and going from us to them, removal fees, destruction fees, etc.,
etc., etc.

Years ago I supervised a micrographics department in a public utility
(gas & electric)where we converted everything from maps to accounting
records, so I'm somewhat familiar (it was over 25 years ago...I can't
remember everything)with quality control practices before and after
conversion.  I'm imagining that the intent of QC here would be the same.
Basically, we're not looking to keep the converted media for archival
purposes in this instance.  We would plan on retaining these file types
for our usual retention period and then following our SOP, contact the
client for permission to either destroy or return the media to them.

Oh, one of our other considerations in trying to think through this
process is that when a client is faced with finding space to store 50
boxes, they sometimes tend not to respond to our requests for
instruction.  The time and energy my staff and I expend contacting
clients and convincing them to take their files in some cases should
also be figured in the benefits.  My thinking is that our clients would
be much more receptive to accepting a packet of CD's over 50 boxes.

Sorry about the length of this email, but I appreciate your help and the
chance to "talk" out loud some of my ideas.  It helps the process to
have a diversity of opinions from such a knowledgeable group!  My thanks
again!

Laura A. Steinberg
Records Manager