From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:58:31 -0400
On 10/4/05, JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> As Ginny Jones noted, there isn't a really good answer to this yet. Usual> caveats: buy better CDs (gold or "archival" instead of the "50 for $10"> spindle), keep them properly stored in nonreactive envelopes or CD cases,> don't play Frisbee with them, etc. CD-R seems to last a bit longer than> CD-RW, but whether that's due to chemical issues, repeated handling, etc. I> don't know.
I'll join the Jesse and Ginny here, but be aware that CLIR and NISThave a free publication Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs —A Guide forLibrarians and Archivists available on the web.
here are the links
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/contents.html
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/pub121.pdf
--Peter KurileczRichmond, Va