From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:44:55 -0500
Gerry,
As a former teacher/trainer turned Records Manager, I can tell you this
- just as a pitcher won't hold more water just because you keep pouring,
human brains and bodies can only absorb and assimilate so much
information in one sitting.  The time frame might be more than one hour
but in my experience, long training sessions of 6 - 8 hours are not
"learning effective" but are "time of trainer/student effective".

As you research, you will also find that to be effective in teaching as
opposed to just presenting material to people requires their
interaction.  Thus people who take notes will retain more than people
who merely listen.  People who get actively involved in problem solving
activities will gain more understanding than those who passively listen.

Wow, I hadn't realized that I had climbed upon a soap box.  Guess I will
step down and get back to working on.....my next presentation (which
will not really be teaching, but presenting information!!).

Since it IS Friday.  And in Texas is the Friday before the Texas-OU Game
AND Texas IS the #2 team in the country (who hasn't beaten OU in a
while)....I just have to sign off by saying "HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!"

Mary Hilliard