From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 17:29:35 -0400
On 10/7/05, Norman Owens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Is it just me or does it seem like there's a lot of churn of employment
> opportunities going on?  To those who have been on longer than me, is this
> seasonal or does it seem like an uptick?

Actually there is increased activity on the part of employers and
recruiters to find qualified records management professionals. I
maintain a couple of searches on monster.com and repost the results to
the ICRM-L Yahoo group. Each week there are at least 3 announcements
looking for  records management types that indicate CRM desired,
preferred or required.

What gets posted here is only the tip of the iceberg. In the past I
have talked with employers who want to know where they can find
qualified folks and I always say post to the list. I have also had
folks contact me to talk about potential opportunities.

As someone pointed out (maybe it was LarryM) some of these are repeat
announcements. Usually they are repeated because they no one responded
or the folks who did respond did  not meet the qualifications. and if
no one responded it may have been because salary/compensation wasn't
stated clearly. RM salary and compensation is on the rise and has been
for the past couple of years. One problem is that some companies don't
realize that the price has increased due to a limited supply of
qualified folks.

here are some things to consider. Activity is up. Don't take the first
offer made to you unless it meets or exceeds your needs. Ask yourself
if the position will increase your RM knowledge and skills. Every
position i've held has served to increase my knowledge and skills.
Consider that you may have to relocate in order to move up. Take into
consideration the fact that you may to do some traveling in a new job
and how will that affect your family/home life. Are you ready and
willing to live on the road?

Lots of things to consider and as Jesse said
 "My own take on it is that even if you're not looking, you should
have a rough idea of the landscape - you never know when the layoff
(or the acquisition, or the "rightsizing", or your own personal
frustration with your position!) is coming."

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va