From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:36:36 -0700
I had a great time reading listserv and work messages from home today, it
> puts a slightly
> different perspective on things.

This List, specifically, is an excellent resource and I think the
participants share from their knowledge base and offer assistance EXTREMELY
well. This professional community has EVERY RIGHT to be VERY proud of
themselves. Every now and then, we all get a bit off-base, which is why
there are TWO off topic groups, but it's amazing how ON TOPIC these even
remain, except around the holidays and conference!

This a great listserv, with many wonderful professionals who happen to be
> passionate about their work, and who contribute so much more than could ever
> be expected to the community of records managers-at-large.

As my friends in Minnesota and Wisconsin might say... ohyeahyoubetcha. If
you look at the survey data regarding this profession, there is a striking
fact... there are more people with more than 20 years experience than in
most any other profession I've ever seen data for... and as we all have been
discussing for a full decade plus now, there is no FORMAL EDUCATION.

I think the level of contribution/participation here is so high is owed in
part to the fact that while there may not always be perfect answers, there
REALLY aren't too many WRONG answers. And for that reason, people are
willing to share.

Even when "potentially questionable" answers are provided, people who give
them are typically contacted off-line. Not to be taken to a less public
woodshed, but to find out what the basis for their comments were... y'see,
because every industry and every organization decides what THEIR best
practices are, many times what sounds outlandish to one practitioner may be
completely logical to another.

Just my thoughts...

Larry

--