From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:35:27 -0700
Sue Myburgh said:

>It would seem to me to be a duplication of work if ARMA were to develop
>an entirely separate set of competencies: I would be extremely surprised
>if this would differ substantially between the two countries, in my
>experience, with the exception of laws that affect RM.

Overall, some great observations.  First, since I was not part of the
initial competency group (Job Task Analysis Panel) I can't say what they
actually accomplished.  Based on the write-up on ARMA's website, I suspect
there wouldn't be significant differences between what Australia developed
and what the Panel ultimately publishes, especially for core competencies.
But I have been wrong before, one reason why I don't bet on football -
American rules, of course.  :>)

>I also understand that the role of the CRM, as it is based on practical
>experience, is a useful complement to the first task, even though it is
>really only recognized in the US and Canada.

The ICRM Board, which I am a member of, is attempting to change this view.
The members of the committee that develop tests questions are very mindful
to write questions that focus on core competencies and, at the same time,
are "country neutral."  We are also establishing partnerships with records
managers in Japan and other countries with the idea of offering tests in
other languages.  In line with this, we'll be offering candidates the
ability to test through a vendor that has 4000 sites throughout the world.

>With all due respect, the majority of articles in our core journals -
>Informaa, Records Management Quarterly and our own Information
>Management Journal - are largely based on practice and opinion.

You are right on target with this observation.  Many of the articles in the
IMJ are informative; I've gained much from many authors' insights.  But the
IMJ is also chock full of advertising, which to me can be distracting.

>There are several things that ARMA could do in order to encourage the
>development of a theoretical base: (a) have a session/stream at conference
>which addresses theoretical/educational issues; (b) publish a 'recent
>research' column in IMJ;

From what I understand, someone (who is highly respected in the RM
community) suggested the IMJ become a research journal.  This idea was shot
down because it wasn't a revenue generating endeavor.

The project management community (through the Project Management Institute),
on the other hand, publishes both a monthly magazine (that is similar to
IMJ) and a quarterly Project Management Journal (PMJ)  The PMJ publishes
peer reviewed research articles written by scholars who teach at recognized
project management programs throughout the world.

My hope is that one day ARMA will understand the need for a research journal
much as PMI has.  This is especially important if we, as an RM community,
ever want to be looked at as a viable profession in the eyes of the
education establishment.  Until then, we'll have a difficult time gaining
traction within the halls of universities and colleges.

My opinions my own...

Bruce L. White, MBA, CRM, PMP