From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:27:26 -0700
Sue, no professional credentials have the international standing of a
Ph.D.  What you said about those outside the profession not knowing what
a CRM is; that goes for other professional certifications too.  The only
possible exception is the CPA; and that is only here in the U.S.A.

My job required a CRM; period.  The ICRM requires a certain number of
years of professional experience in four of eight functional RIM
categories before allowing applicants to sit for the exam.  The ICRM
measures RIM professionals; the ICRM does not train them; the ICRM is
not in the education business.  The ICRM measures knowledge and
capabilities; period, end of story.  There are a number of CRMs who are
also Ph.Ds, and who were a Ph.D. before taking the CRM examinations.  A
number of them had to test for the same parts numerous times before
passing; including Part VI, the written case studies.

The CRM is a professional level certification credential; technicians
do not qualify to sit for the exams.  CRMs operate in the strategic
mode; but must also understand and be able to manage tactical projects,
as well as managing their RIM organizations that provide ongoing
services and RIM tools.

You should make the effort to learn and understand the CRM
certification and professional credential before you talk about it.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/18/05 03:00PM >>>
Dear Ginny, Bob and Steve
In spite of what you say - and I must say I am greatly heartened by
the
interest shown in the CRM by the countries that you mention - the CRM
does not enjoy the same level of automatic international status that a
Master's or PhD degree does.  In particular, those outside of RM - in
fact, those whom we wish to convert - have no idea at all what it is,
and I suspect that this is even the case within the US.  Are there any
jobs for records managers that state "CRM required for this position"?
I have to say that I had never even heard of the CRM before I joined
ARMA (admittedly, some time ago).  I therefore think I am safe in
saying
that few outside the field would be familiar with it, and how it is
achieved.  An just look at how my view of this qualification and
Ginny's
(who is much more familiar with it) differ!!
The central problem with the CRM, I believe, will continue to be that
it
is not offered by an accredited University, and, as such, will remain
being understood as a technician level qualification in the eyes of
those 'out there'.  We really can't go on preaching to the converted
any
more...
All the best
Sue