Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:06:47 -0700
Sue ... I'm a kinder and gentler CRM.  What Ginny and Steve have state on
the requirements to become a CRM is absolutely correct.  Our association,
like many others, has an experience requirement.  You can't get the
experience in the educational environment.   You may take some courses that
may assist you in your pursuit of the certification, but you qualify and
test for your certificate outside the educational community.  Lawyers,
engineers, Certified Public Accounts (CPA), most of your IT designations you
see hung after the individuals names on this list have earned their spurs by
testing through their individual associations.  Does education at a college
and university play a part in the profession, absolutely, but, I doubt you
will see a movement towards the award of a "CRM" designation on graduation.

Also ... "Are there any jobs for records managers that state "CRM required
for this position".  I believe you are correct, but I do see many that have
the requirement for a bachelors or master degree that have "CRM preferred"
or "CRM desirable" in the list of requirements.

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
Sue said

Dear Ginny, Bob and Steve
In spite of what you say - and I must say I am greatly heartened by the
interest shown in the CRM by the countries that you mention - the CRM does
not enjoy the same level of automatic international status that a Master's
or PhD degree does.  In particular, those outside of RM - in fact, those
whom we wish to convert - have no idea at all what it is, and I suspect that
this is even the case within the US.  Are there any jobs for records
managers that state "CRM required for this position"?
I have to say that I had never even heard of the CRM before I joined ARMA
(admittedly, some time ago).  I therefore think I am safe in saying that few
outside the field would be familiar with it, and how it is achieved.  An
just look at how my view of this qualification and Ginny's (who is much more
familiar with it) differ!!
The central problem with the CRM, I believe, will continue to be that it is
not offered by an accredited University, and, as such, will remain being
understood as a technician level qualification in the eyes of those 'out
there'.  We really can't go on preaching to the converted any more...
All the best
Sue