From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:09:42 -0400
On 10/19/05, Jones, Virginia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>One of our biggest obstacles in this
> profession is ourselves.  In the U.S. and recently the U.K., laws and
> regulations are starting to drive business and government to pay more
> attention to proper records management.  Where is upper management
> turning for answers and compliance?  IT, Accounting and Legal.  Why?
> Because, in many cases, RIM is waiting to be asked instead of being the
> first in the door with possible solutions.  In fact, we should be first
> in the door to bring awareness of the pending laws and regulations and
> offering potential solutions.  We need to understand what aspects of IT,
> accounting and legal pertain to the RIM solutions for compliance and
> incorporate it in our recommendations.

Ginny raises an excellent point. I've just returned from the ACC
(Association of Corporate Counsel) conference in Washington DC ( where
Filenet was exhibiting). A very interesting conference. Attendees were
either general counsels or assistants from small, medium and large
companies. In talking with numerous attendees all have a different
understanding of records management (or as they call it document
retention). I sat in on one session where the speakers discussed
smoking guns and document retention. One speaker mentioned the
following four items as best practices/guidelines they use at his
company for retention.

Association Guidelines
Sarbanes-Oxley Sentencing Guidelines
Health Ethics Trust
CMS Compliance Program Guidelines
Utilization Review.

no mention of regulatory/statutory requirements, no mention of
business process/functions.

Not once during the entire presentation was ARMA mentioned or various
standards that have been developed. In fact I explicitly asked "Are
you aware of any international or national standards or guidelines
upon which one could develop a records management program?" To which
one speaker replied "I forgot to mention that on the Sendona
Conference website there are 4 organizations you should take a look at
for more information about records retention." having looked at the
website not sure what he was talking about.

Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va