From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:26:10 -0400
On 10/19/05, Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ginny
> I think you have well encapsulated the dilemma.  The question then
> becomes: Why are we concentrating on competencies?  Surely these must be
> related to the certification process, rather than the education
> process...

one reason for focusing on competencies is (I believe) to provide a
solid footing for what each position requires. here in the States the
title records manager is handed out to easily. In some cases the title
is given to an individual who is doing little more than managing a
paper file room. This is individual doesn't develop policies or
procedures, they don't develop final plans or retention schedules.
they may supervise a few clerks.

Others with the title actually write policy, interface with IT, Legal
and Internal audit. they conduct studies and do analysis of problems
with the company. They solve problems. they are actuall managing and
directing.

this is why competencies are being developed. or I may be wrong.

The certification process is independent of ARMA International.

> What research to date has been funded by the ARMA Educational
> Foundation?

Information about the foundation can be found here

http://www.armaedfoundation.org/main.html

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va