From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:29:20 -0600
Microfilming being my specialty I thought I would weight in on this issue!
The 50:1 ratio (57:1 is probably a typo) was only used on rotary units for
checks that were specially designed to have huge compression so the big
banks wouldn't have to change film as often. Currently 40:1 is the most
common rotary film unit around that accommodates duplex filming but I also
have had 32:1 film units that duplexed on Kodak 600-800 rotary units.

Your best solution is a Minolta DAR 2800 auto feed unit that will film the
back sides of documents at either 24X (letter) or 32X (legal) using a
similar feed system as most common copiers where it re-feeds the document
back though the feed system and flips it over for the back side. You will
need to have a special duplex target that you put before the doc and then a
simplex to go back to regular filming.

Besides that, any 16mm planetary camera will allow you to film the front
side then manually (gasp) turn the document over and film the back side
which at least eliminates the need to duplicate the backs sides of all your
2 sided documents.  This technique will also work on your rotary if you pay
attention ie turn the duplex docs side ways when you prep and auto feed the
simplex docs until you get to the duplex docs - when you come to them feed
it through normally then remove from the hopper turn it over and run the
back side - labor intensive but if you only have a few double sided docs not
such a big deal!

We use both DAR's, planetary's and rotary's in our service bureau. The DAR
has the distinction of being a planetary that can operate in a regular
office environment with lights rather than in a light controlled, dark room
for the other types of planetary's.  It is my favorite innovation in the
market in the last 15 years!!!

Please feel free to contact me directly for any additional details!

Janie Wait

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing