From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:15:50 -0500
The Canon 5060F hybrid filmer/scanner offers either 24x single-side or 57x
duplex depending on what film unit is used.

Getting to the original question we have been considering both of these
options, also.  Our source documents consist of mostly single-sided but with
something on the order of 10% to 20% double-sided.  Right now when the
documents are prepared we mark anything that has a back side that needs to
be filmed with a small mark in the upper left corner of the front of the
page.  The camera/scanner operator has to watch each page as it's fed into
the camera and manually stop the feeding and turn over and reinsert the
document.  Obviously, this slows down the camera throughput dramatically
from what it should be capable of.

However, when we look at option 1 we see a lot of resources being used
during document prep to make copies of the back side of each duplex page.

When we look at option 2 we also were wondering about the reduction ration.
Also, since we both scan and film we are concerned about the increased file
size if we scan a lot of blank pages.  I know that we could delete the blank
pages while we're doing our quality check but that would slow down that
process, too.

Gary Vocks
Records Management Officer
Southern Illinois University