From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:27:16 -0700
Sue, glad you are enjoying the discussion.  Good topics, and good to
reaffirm each organization's role in propogating and advancing the RIM
profession.

<snip>
...what is its relationship to education and training?
<snip>

The ICRM does not do training.  It is up to each candidate to acquire
their own training and education.  The ICRM is a certification
institute; that is what it does. The ICRM cares not where a RIM
professional gains their education and professional experience; as long
as the applicant can satisfy the requirements to sit for the exams, and
thus be accepted as a candidate.  Individual CRMs do a lot of training,
as do I.  Having said that, there are certain networking and committee
links between the ICRM and ARMA, NIRMA, PRISM, AIIM at some levels,
other RIM-related organizations in various countries.  I have personally
reviewed some standards for the RMAA; that was about 8 or so years ago.
A lot of CRMs and non-CRM professionals wish there were more RIM degrees
such as the one Mark Langemo Ph.D., CRM, FAI established and managed for
several decades at the Univ. of North Dakota.  I wish every university
had such a major leading to a bachelor of science degree in RIM.

<snip>
So, no matter how excellent, complete and extensive the process of
testing for the CRM, it would appear that the knowledge base required
can only be acquired through practical experience, as matters presently
stand.  It does not specify that anybody needs to have completed ANY
previous qualification in RIM, and even related areas of knowledge, such
as the MLIS that Kirsten described, are not recognised in any particular
way.
<snip>

No.  The candidate's knowledge base can be acquired in any way;
educational or experience, self learning, etc.   A bachelor's degree
helps an applicant become a candidate; along with the requisite years of
broad professional experience.  An advanced degree is not necessary to
qualify to sit for the examinations.  Logic would indicate that a person
with an advanced degree in any of the RIM or general management areas
covered by the CRM examinations should have some knowledge that others
may not possess.  However, all candidates have to pass all of the
examinations.  A sheepskin does not buy a CRM certification.

The ICRM has educational and professional experience requirements for
applicants to become candidates.  Given that, the ICRM tests knowledge
and capabilities.  A candidate can acquire their knowledge any way they
wish; through a whole career of being a professional student; through
many years of attending RIM seminars and conferences; reading books;
learning on the job, etc.  The acid test is if the candidate can pass
all 6 of the examinations within a 5-year period.  The ICRM does not
care if a candidate went to Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, S. Wales,
Canberra, Oxford, Missouri, Stanford, Bond, or the University of
Tasmania.  It matters only how well the candidate performs on the
examinations and case studies.

<snip>
The question then becomes: does the CRM effectively replace such
education?
<snip>

If a candidate can pass all 6 of the CRM examinations; they are very
well educated in RIM; our profession.

<snip>
This to me is a central issue.  I believe that a desirable state of
affairs would be for the ICRM to insist on such prior education at the
very least - whether at vocational or university level.
<snip>

Point taken..., some would agree with you...; some might not.  People
come to this profession from all different directions...; more so in the
USA and Canada than in other parts of the world.  Until the profession
is more recognized and perhaps valued, there will probably not be more
undergraduate RIM majors of study.  So, the conundrum of our profession;
what comes first, the  chicken or the egg.  We in this profession still
have lots to do to sell and establish our profession.
Back to topic...
The ICRM requires a 4-year bachelor's degree, and at least 3 years of
professional RIM experience in 4 of 8 functional RIM areas of expertise.
 At the discretion of the ICRM Certification Standards Committee, an
applicant can be granted credit to become a candidate if they have extra
years of professional experience beyond the minimum if they have not
finished college.   70% of CRM candidates over the past two years have
4-year college degrees.  31% of CRM candidates over the past two years
have graduate degrees.  I am convinced this is a mugh higher percentage
of graduates than was the case 20 years ago.

<snip>
As many have noted, it is precisely this that is lacking.  Kirsten
urges more involvement by academia, and this is probably true.  However,
academia will take note only when there is a body of theory, based on
research, and not only is this sorely lacking, but is actively
discouraged by the profession - we do not have a vehicle for publication
of such research!
<snip>

I am a practitioner, not an academician.  This is by choice.
Nevertheless, I disagree that our profession lacks a body of knowledge
and theory, and that this is sorely lacking.  I disagree completely that
this is actively discouraged by the profession.  What makes you think
this?  I also disagree that we do not have a vehicle for publication of
such research.  I am surprised you would state such things.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/20/05 04:06PM >>>
Hi everybody

I am so enjoying this conversation and learning heaps - not least of
all
the passion which the subject of RIM education seems to raise in so
many.
Okay, so given, as Steve has stated, that:

"The CRM exams capture the body of knowledge about RIM, including
technology, basic general management, and mirror that body of
knowledge
on the parts I - V examinations, and in the case studies.  Always has.
This RIM body of knowledge, and the CRM exams, also includes topics
and
many questions germane to imaging, since that is part of the RIM
profession also."

in other words, that the CRM is a complete and ultimate test of a
RIM's
knowledge and theoretical base, as well as technological applications
and effects, what is its relationship to education and training?

The CRM is viewed, as has been stated in this discussion, as a
certification process, similar to, for example, the Bar exam.
However,
the Bar exam is preceded by many years of study in an accredited
educational institution.  Apart from the general requirement for an
undergraduate degree (and it would appear that this may be in any
area)
in order to sit for the CRM, the ICRM has no direct relationship with
the educational or teaching process as such: it is not an accredited
educational institution, but an accredited certifying institution.
(Please correct me if I am wrong in this, Steve).

So, no matter how excellent, complete and extensive the process of
testing for the CRM, it would appear that the knowledge base required
can only be acquired through practical experience, as matters
presently
stand.  It does not specify that anybody needs to have completed ANY
previous qualification in RIM, and even related areas of knowledge,
such
as the MLIS that Kirsten described, are not recognised in any
particular
way.

The question then becomes: does the CRM effectively replace such
education?

This to me is a central issue.  I believe that a desirable state of
affairs would be for the ICRM to insist on such prior education at the
very least - whether at vocational or university level.  Granted, we
still have a large number of professionals who have learnt on the job
and have come up through the ranks; however, we must look at where the
profession is going, and not where it has been.  The next generation
of
RIMs will no doubt require an extensive and broad education in the
area
even to get a job.

As many have noted, it is precisely this that is lacking.  Kirsten
urges
more involvement by academia, and this is probably true.  However,
academia will take note only when there is a body of theory, based on
research, and not only is this sorely lacking, but is actively
discouraged by the profession - we do not have a vehicle for
publication
of such research!

Looks like a lot of work still to be done.
All the best
Sue

Sue Myburgh
School of Communication, Information and New Media
University of South Australia
St Bernard's Road
Magill SA 5076
ADELAIDE

P: 618 8302 4421
F: 618 8302 4745
E; [log in to unmask]

To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for
happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.
Gustave Flaubert (1821 - 1880)