From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:37:06 -0700
Sue Myburgh said:

>Apart from the general requirement for an undergraduate degree (and it
>would appear that this may be in any area) in order to sit for the CRM, the
>ICRM has no direct relationship with the educational or teaching process as
>such: it is not an accredited educational institution, but an accredited
>certifying institution.

You got this one correct.  Let's move on to the next one.

>in other words, that the CRM is a complete and ultimate test of a RIM's
>knowledge and theoretical base, as well as technological applications
>and effects, what is its relationship to education and training?

The CRM tests against a records management body of knowledge, both from a
theoretical and practical base.  As Steve stated earlier, most applicants
have a college degree and a minimum of three years experience in the
profession.  With less education, one can qualify with more experience.

>So, no matter how excellent, complete and extensive the process of
>testing for the CRM, it would appear that the knowledge base required
>can only be acquired through practical experience, as matters presently
>stand.  It does not specify that anybody needs to have completed ANY
>previous qualification in RIM, and even related areas of knowledge, such
>as the MLIS that Kirsten described, are not recognised in any particular
>way.

Candidates are required to be qualified in the RIM profession, through a
combination of education and experience.  If the candidate has an MLIS, they
aren't discriminated against.  But again, the experience is just as
important.

>The question then becomes: does the CRM effectively replace such
education?

No, the CRM is not indented to replace education; never has and never will.
I guess what's bothering me is this focus that education = qualifications.
A degree prepares one for a chosen profession; it doesn't make one qualified
in that profession.

I know of a number of accounting majors who didn't know their way around a
ledger until they had a couple of years of work experience under their belt.
I've also seen recent MBA graduates who brought theoretical ideas to the
table but were unpractical to implement; reminded me of second lieutenants.
As we use to say in the Army, nothing substitutes for experience, in war or
other parts of life.

By the way, I don't think anyone is arguing with your point that we need RM
education programs.  Some colleges and universities in the US offer courses
in records management, but I am not aware of a full-fledged degree program.
Some of us have been outspoken for the need and maybe one day we'll see one.
But ARMA needs to step up to the plate (an American baseball term) and push
the effort.  It is part of their charter.

Bruce L. White, MBA, CRM, PMP