From:
Paula Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:59:02 -0700
I think there is only offense taken where none is meant.

I do think that when we talk about RIM professionals, the dividing line
might be the more executive positions, then entry level positions into
the profession.

I believe that CEO's parted company some time ago from the perspective
of RM as a completely focused set of competencies within an
organization.  The common discussion is considering where to house the
function of RM within their present organizations.  IT, Legal, Audit,
Finance, etc., (ARMA paid very good money to produce the Forrester study
and report, it should be required reading for every member)

What I see happening is a focus on Leadership/Team Direction, Business
Management, Project Management, Human Resources Management, Information
Management and Technology, as well as promotion of the organization to
externalities and vested interest in the direction of the organization
through building a framework for RIM.  I don't see them looking at the
various functions of RIM as a composite profession.  (Hence the need to
promote the greater or global competencies of RIM to include more
technological and scientific oriented activities)

I don't subscribe that people right out of college will succeed in
attaining immediate high level positions, however I will see them
succeed in achieving those levels at a greater or faster pace then on
the job RIM professionals have experienced without the higher
educational background.

I have no doubt that many of the list members are not on the same page,
nor likely to see that through this conversation.

Serious work needs to be done in the advancement of the profession, if
one is comparing RIM with PE's, CPA's or any other profession that
requires the education and the experience, along with testing.  CRM's
have a graduated set of criteria, from no education and over 13+ years
of experience through 4 years of college and a few years of experience.
CPA certification requires an undergraduate degree, 2 years minimum work
with a qualified public accountancy firm, which attests to the
candidate's qualifications and significant testing.  PE's require an
undergraduate degree in engineering sciences, passing the EIT (engineer
in training) exam then 4 years experience and the references of 2-3 PE's
who confirm knowledge of the candidate's application of knowledge and
experience in the field, all to qualify to take the PE exam.

I agree that in the future, if RIM is not to be completely subsumed into
Information Management, Law, or Information Technology Sciences, then
one has to factor that employers have increasingly complex needs and the
people that fill positions in their organizations are going to need to
offer experience and advanced educational backgrounds in order to be
competitive.

ARMA is presently working on producing education initiatives, however
the time to have had this discussion was in reality a decade ago, when
it became apparent that the influence of technology was going to
significantly shift the way governments and organizations do business.
Just my opinion but it seems we are far more reactive than proactive and
this conversation is highlighting this point for me.

Somehow, I devise from the original thread that we are now defending the
ICRM exam process and I wish everyone would carefully consider the
message I am receiving, as a candidate that is taking the exams.

This is not meant to be either a criticism or a negative, but an
evaluation from my view of where the profession is poised today and what
the near term future of the profession may look like.  I spent 5 days in
Kansas last week and I hope that I could contribute something positive
to the context of the RIM profession.  I do hope to promote records and
information management as a profession, however in order to really see
improvements made, I believe academia and practitioners have to work
together.

Have a great evening all!

Paula Johnson
UCSD