From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:15:51 -0500
Sue,  Are you trying to tell us that the only way to become educated,well
rounded and taken seriously is through an academia program?  If so, that's
very short-sighted.  Any RIM PROFESSIONAL that  is making this a career
will constantly work at being up to date and educated on changes in the
profession.  While some basic knowledge of RIM could be taught in an
academic situation, real life is where the rubber meets the road.   An
example that I just saw was that  an Art  professor felt his students were
lacking in business knowledge that will help them sell there goods and
services. The curriculum focused only on theory: color tones,etc and he
couldn't get the curriculum changed and had to work with the students
outside of class.  IT DIDN'T PREPARE THEM FOR THE REAL WORLD.

As Steve  noted , a candidate must have not only a some advanced education
( this helps with dealing with situations in real life- who remembers/uses
alot of what was book learned in college vs being responsible and dealing
with situations/people) but also work experience.   This combination I
think makes a better candidate  as they've probably been beat-up a little
in both life and business.  To be able to simply regurgitate knowledge vs
taking that knowledge and applying it critical situations is alot
different and I'll take the real world person every time.  That's not to
say both can't excel but my experience tells me the grounded,  well
rounded candidate outperforms in a  business situation.

I know from a personal standpoint (as recently certified) that without the
experience factor involved for sitting as a ICRM candidate I would still
be working at completion.  I also think that this applies to everyone in
the RIM profession whether or not they feel the CRM designation is
important.

My 2 cents

I don't mind paper but I HATE out-of -office replies

Steve Petersen CRM
Sr. Records Administrator
Rockwell Collins Inc
319.295.5244