From:
"Rich, Grace" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:46:01 -0500
I concur with the list's view that a university records management
degree program would be exceptional. Until one exists, however, I hope
the list will give serious consideration to the 15-credit online
RIM certificate offered through Chippewa Valley Technical College.
The certificate is a good way to get a solid educational background in
records management.

Disclaimer: I'm the primary course developer and instructor
for the CVTC certificate courses. I don't mean for this
posting to be a shameless plug for the certificate. My intent
is to clarify the scope and content of the certificate in light
of the general discussion.

Although CVTC is not a four-year baccalaureate-granting
institution, it is fully accredited, and persons who have
successfully completed the certificate report a high level of
satisfaction with the content and the results of their
work.

Ginny wrote about the types of RIM education available:

>The other, more common, type is a few courses at the
undergraduate level (such as Chippewa College) that results in some type
of "certificate of completion" or inclusion of RIM material in office
management or admin assistant certificate programs at the community
college level.  The latter is usually heavily focused on filing methods
and rules with a smattering of general RIM overviews like Vital Records
or the need for retention schedules.<

I want to clarify that the course content of the RIM certificate at
Chippewa Valley Technical College is heavily focused on substantive
RIM components. Filing rules are included as approximately half of one
of the five courses because enrollees requested a background in
alphabetic, numeric, geographic, and subject filing. For instance,
the filing section segues into a serious discussion and application of
active and inactive storage and retrieval.

I posted a message earlier today about the start of the next round
of classes under the subject line "Registration Open for
RIM Certificate Online Class" that had more detail about
certificate content.

Student feedback leads me to believe that the RIM certificate at
CVTC is highly regarded for its inclusive approach to records
management and that the amount of work and level
of effort in the classes is comparable to university-level
courses.

Because of the 15-credit limitation of this onIine certificate,
I realize it can't have the depth or breadth of the former four-year
UND program, but the certificate is available now and does represent
substantial educational achievement on the part of those who complete
it. Its online delivery format also makes it accessible worldwide.

Details about the certificate are available at
http://www.cvtc.edu/programs/rim.htm.

Our College has talked about expanding the certificate to
a two-year online associate degree program. Does the list
think there's any merit toward our pursuing that, or is a four-year
degree the only acceptable initial post-secondary educational
degree?

--Grace

Grace E. Rich, PhD, CRM
Chippewa Valley Technical College