From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:50:24 -0700
I don't mean to be beating this horse again but...

Sue Myburgh said:

>1. Why is the CRM still, practically, a uniquely North American phenomenon?
I'd say one reason is because past boards made the decision to focus their
efforts on North America.  Expanding a credential internationally takes
investment in resources (both $$$ and people) and time, something that the
ICRM hasn't wanted to do.  I see this philosophy changing with the current
(and hopefully future) board.  But internationalization takes times.

>2. Why is a broader view of RIM not adopted?
Possibly because many organizations (and individuals) still do not see the
need for records management.  Up until a few years ago, when someone asked
me what I did for a living, I'd say I worked in "Information Management,"
IT, etc. I was embarrassed to admit I was in Records Management, partly
because many individuals didn't understand what the profession was about.
Things are changing slowly but surely.

I believe the question of why more universities don't offer RM is somewhat
related.  I suspect the answer comes down to a simple economic principle:
the law of supply and demand.  Most universities won't fund a new program
unless students demand it.  Likewise, students won't request RM programs
until the market for records management professionals increase significantly
beyond the current RM "universe."

Granted, we are seeing more opportunities for records managers and CRMs but
we as a profession still have a way to go.  Unfortunately, some still
perceive us as sitting in a basement managing paper files and fighting the
effort to a paperless world.  That attitude is shifting but we as a
profession must do a better job of marketing our profession and the skills
we bring to the table.

>It remains for me to thank those of you who have read thus far.  And Bruce
>White CRM, PMP, no matter what Steve says, we all love you.
Thanks.  I pay no attention to what Whitaker says anyone.  He's like a fat
(and yes he is!) Chihuahua - his bark is much worse than his bite...

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP