Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:40:01 -0700
So....

Where were we?

Oh yea, We shouldn't keep everything, even if we can (I don't even want
to know about Bill's pantyhose and for those that know I roomed with
Bill at BFMA, I had know idea and never saw them). So how do we keep
from arriving at what is a very real possibility?

We had a small thread a bit ago regarding competencies, accreditation,
certification and competencies. Our obligation is to thoroughly
understand and define OUR world. We can't expect anyone to follow us
when we continue wander the information highway. We have no universal
definition for a record, what records management means and where we fit
in the scheme of things.

Who determines whether email or any other record is kept in perpetuity?
Apart from limited legislation in specific cases, how does the
"profession" mandate one action over another? As a "profession" do we
have the credibility to carry the day?

The discussion over the role of ARMA, ICRM, or the ACA lacks virtue. In
the age of NAFTA, The WTO, and the G-(whatever), we need to leverage our
international presence and create that holistic organization that
includes all managers of the information highway.

A board needs to exist at some time to oversee and incorporate IT, RM,
Archives etc. to ensure ethical behavior uniform language, and
"professional" existence. Addressing the issue solely on the basis of
national identity falls short of this world's demands.

Fifty years ago you could create an AMA or ABA and satisfy the counties
needs. Today we lack the luxury of such a xenophobic approach. We are
bickering about little things when the larger opportunity passes us by.
There is a place for each "profession" to exist in harmony if and when
we create it.

Should the ICRM exist? Yes. Should the ACA exist? Yes. Should the MCSE
exist as the base line standard for IT professionals? I don't know, ask
an IT professional. Each profession should be REQUIRED develop a
baseline standard for professional status. This standard should be
universally accepted world wide. It should conform to the requirements
of the Board.

The RM "profession" should not look to universities to develop
curriculum to define an accredited program. An MLS degree with two
archives classes should not define an Archivist. Are we prepared in
America to meet the challenges of the European Archivist and the
Australian Records Manager?

It should never occur to an IT professional that we keep all emails
forever. Why do they do it? Because we have not done our jobs as defined
by the world's needs. You folks at the top, the miracle five percent,
need to take on more. We need create this reality. If we fail? Well I
haven't run into a professional Data Processor lately.

The world has changed and we are still playing catch up.

Chris Flynn