From:
Carolyn Trim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:25:02 -0500
I am turning the debate on Katrina into thoughts and application...

I have either been lucky or crazy to have worked with many different types
of industries over the years -- including chemical plants, hospitals,
financial institutions, hi-tech corporations, etc.  The emotional turmoil
over Katrina and the devastation to the area just emphasizes to the nth
degree on disaster planning and business resumption plans for both the
business and the home. It is quite evident that many were not prepared for
what happened with Katrina.  The experience should evoke the immediate
desire to not be caught unprepared again.

Over the years I have written disaster recovery plans for both small and
large entities, experienced a chemical disaster, been through tornados and
hurricanes and a fire that burned my home. No I did not experience 9/11 and
Katrina personally.  But as stated several weeks ago.  These disasters
should trigger each company to look long and hard at their operations,
protection of those operations and records, and what to do for the worse
case scenario when it happens. The chemical plant I worked at had the same
bad chemical as Bhopal. With great attentiveness, we never had that disaster
or there would be several coastal towns that would have had no people after
a leak!

I agree with Sherry Lyons that there is enough blame to go around for New
Orleans.  I have family in NO that no longer have jobs but have children and
family to feed that no longer have homes. Yet they did not do any disaster
planning. Both businesses and families should always consider and prepare
for the worst.

For example.

When purchasing a building or home -- what are both natural and man-made
threats?  Floods, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Snow, mud slides.  Someone should
ask if that place is being purchased on emotions or is it really the best.
That is the same when looking for a place to store records. I have used an
extended checklist to analyze the risks associated with a new records
storage vendor -- apply that to your own personal practices --apply it to
your department practices.

As a records manager I hated the thought of duplicate records running all
over the place. Electronic records multiply worse than dust bunnies.
However, as an operations manager I required everyone of my supervisors to
have paper manuals, emergency call trees, etc. with them at home or to take
with them if we had to evacuate. Why, I trained all of them to realize that
one morning the building may not be there. One senior bank director insisted
that because he took is brief case home each night --wasn't that enough?
Arg. And this was way before Oklahoma or 9/11.  We also sent paper backup of
procedures, forms, etc. to not just one hot spot but several. I also
insisted sales staff at that time copy and send off all of their contact
information. They stewed and fumed -- but ultimately did it. Yes it was a
pain to periodic updates to those sites, but I never wanted to be caught
with my pants down and not be able to bring a consumer loan division backup
in a timely manner.  Here is a reminder, do not use a hot spot that has the
possibility of the same disasters that your main office has... And why
paper, we planned that electricity could be down or computers destroyed.  We
maintained paper forms etc. as part of an emergency kit.

Thus, even though it went against the grain, when the hi-tech area had two
mirrored sites in addition to the core site --it made sense.  And more than
once, IT had to flip from one site to the other because of snow storms that
lasted a week and people could not come to work or because of rain or
hurricanes.  With this philosophy, the consumer never knew when data sites
were flipped. We did not lose accounts receivable records...even though a
local site was not up and running -- a group had it covered elsewhere (so
don't forget cross training).

I see it as records and internal audit and control responsibilities to make
sure that every department or business unit has a detailed plan for
operations and records.  That includes 24, 48, 1 week, 1 month, etc. out on
what they have to do get back in operations.  Families should also take that
same approach.  Decide what is really necessary, make copies, have emergency
containers that you can protect or leave with in minutes.  Have evacuation
and shut down plans and practice them. Don't leave them in dust covered
binders.

How do you apply personally? -- I sat down with several single/widowed,
older ladies in our subdivision and went over with them on how to create
emergency containers for power outages, accidents, and prepare for loss of
food and other services for at least a month.  I have several friends that
stock their home for at least 6 months -- they absolutely believe that
local, state, and federal assistance will always be slow to occur. We had
checklists and emergency call lists.  We addressed what to do if one person
had to relocate to another place.  We planned and then replanned.  We helped
each other find items -- we shopped in different directions.  We prepared
for power and no power for at least two weeks. We planned for illness or
injuries. Where did I learn this, from all the training on the job I had for
years. When the hurricane did not strike, we prayed a thank you. But we also
knew we were prepared.  The sad fact, our extended family living in and
around New Orleans did not of this...even though we constantly called and
coached them to do so. Now they are wringing hands and trying to figure out
what to do. I am totally amazed at this approach.

Sarbanes Oxley and ISO and other programs force companies to maintain the
appropriate records and operational controls to mitigate risks. Small
businesses and individuals usually fail to do this.  Why, money and little
or no repercussions if they don't -- except in time of disaster. I think the
small businesses that have faired are the ones that knew that success was
their own responsibility. But citizens of any local should be responsible
and insure that their local governments are prepared.
Failure to move bus and truck fleets from a city below sea level is
irresponsible.
Storing records in a basement that is below sea level is irresponsible. How
many times has this been discussed on the listserv?
Failure to build or improve structures or controls to mitigate flood risk is
irresponsible.
Becoming too comfortable with mild weather patterns is irresponsible.

As records and information managers, I personally feel that partnerships
with IT, risk management, and emergency preparedness teams are absolutely
vital to the ongoing life of a company. CEOs and boards should be
accountable for ensuring such plans and controls are in place. Plan for the
building not being there, plan for something to happen to large amounts of
employees, plan, role play the plan, and reassess and do it again. I
remember when a plane full of Xerox executives crashed in Colorado. So the
need to have personnel plans is important too. If your company does not
practice risk management, at least practice it in the records and
information department that you control. Maybe you won't ever need to do it,
but then again...you may need to use this knowledge and skills at work or at
home tomorrow.

Am off my soap box for today,
Carolyn Trim
Houston