From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:48:24 -0400
Users sometimes send messages to the list that are marked "urgent" or "high priority."  Some of us have our office email accounts set to forward to our cellphones or smartphones text messages of any incoming mail marked urgent.  I do it because I'm in a one-person function and I need to know when high priority mail comes in, even if I'm home or in a meeting.   I'm sure there are plenty of others here who do that, also.  Depending on their plan, users might have to pay for incoming text messages.  See my June posting, archived at
http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0506A&L=recmgmt-l&P=R7244

If you're inadvertently sending mail routed as "urgent," please check your email settings to make sure your setting is set to standard before hitting send.  If you think sending mail as high priority might lead more people to notice and read your posting, please consider simply writing URGENT in your subject line, instead.  That will get around the text message problem and still let people see your designation.

Most of the messages I've seen routed as urgent to this List and on the Archives List haven't really been urgent.  For example, there was a job posting earlier this week that was marked urgent but it did not seem to have any deadline issues.  It probably was indavertently sent that way.  So, do check your settings before hitting send!

Thanks, all.

Maarja

Maarja Krusten
GAO Historian