From:
Carolyn Trim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:52:30 -0500
Larry, I agree with your views on the medical records.  Anyone dealing with
more than one doctor should realize just like every other law -- each has
interpreted their own way as to retention, media, protection, destruction,
etc.

You said: And yes, I DO have my records copied and backed up and the backup
CDs are routinely sent out of the area for records that I CONSIDER vital to
my family. We use a system of planned dispersal within a ring of friends and
send CDs or DVDs to each other routinely.  I applaud you.  I have hoarded my
records -- but do not have the dispersal program. What a great idea.

...And there's other process and protocol 'stuff' as well, but the physical
management of it is where everyone is focusing right now. Before this
happens, there should be a solid, standardized process in place, and we RIMs
should be part of how this is designed....

Personally I believe this is where the entire RIM world breaks down.
Industry is discussing open formats, the government fusses about encryption
(except their own) for access reasons. RIM is being looked at like an
elephant and blind men (or women) in many arenas. We have IT, Knowledge
management, SOX, HIPPA (?), HR, risk and disaster recovery.. etc.  Within
each area, individual industry enclaves have been established with no cross
links. So where do you start?  Who do you inform?  Better yet...who do you
scare and drive that fear of financial risk (sorry if so cold) so that
yourself and RIM, and all benefit?

How do we build the bridges between each functional industry association
that manages records and information? (And that starts the debate again as
to where should "records" departments report.) -- So that we have a piece of
the pie? Good or bad, computers have caused evolution and will continue to
do so as each new idea is conceived and more becomes possible. How can we
evoke what we perceive is right? We want standards...we want...taking the
Nike statement...

How do we just do it?

Carolyn Trim
Houston, Texas