Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:47:51 -0800
I have clients that do it both ways, but I believe you are probably managing
your collection the way the majority of people are doing.

You can ship your boxes to a commercial vendor and they will be more than
happy to index it into their system and provide you will a listing (report)
of records in the system.  At as Patrick C stated at a nice cost.  My guess
is it is one of their more profitable services.

I believe the majority of vendors in our local area provide bar code labels
(at a cost) and boxes (at a cost) and you apply the label to the box and
submit a transmittal form with the box content information that includes the
barcode number.  If your vendor uses a barcode system, use your box number
and add their barcode number on your index, so you can retrieve by asking
for the box by the barcode number.  They have the barcode number matched
against the storage location number in their center on their computer.

If you vendor doesn't use a barcode system, input the off-site storage
location number against the box number when you receive your report back
from the vendor after they place it on their shelf.

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
253-229-4555