From:
"Johnson, Earl <CTR>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:35:34 -0500
Nolene,

I've always indexed active files too, while they're onsite in the file
room.  Once they became inactive, we'd do the transmittal thing, box
them up, and send them offsite.  This was awhile ago, and I wished we'd
been able to use barcode technology to allow for internal tracking,
check-out/in, and transfer to offsite storage much easier.  At that time
it was tough enough fighting the "powers that be" so bar-coding was not
an option.

I agree with Patrick in that letting your vendor do it would depend on
how much control you wanted over your records.  Personally, I've always
preferred that my vendors know as little as possible about what's inside
a box... all I wanted to give them was a unique number for each box I
sent to them: I wasn't real keen on putting a copy of the transmittal in
the box either (but I gave in on that one).

Oh the lessons learned over the years, if I ever get the opportunity to
manage a large central file room again....

Thanks, and have a great day!
Earl

Earl Johnson, Jr.
Consultant (Millican & Associates) to DHS Records Management
Department of Homeland Security
7th & D Street SW, Room 3636-22
Washington, DC 20528
Office:   (202) 205-5803
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

******* This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by
federal and state law governing electronic communications and may
contain confidential and legally privileged information.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are instructed that any dissemination,
distribution, use of copying of this message or its attachments is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please reply
immediately to the sender and delete this message along with any
attachments. *******