From:
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:34:02 -0800
Hi, Nolene,
Here at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. it is up to the departments when to
index.  The accounting departments with checks, accounts payable files and
other numerical documentation index from creation.  Actually, I'm not sure
who does and who doesn't, but we supply the offsite storage number back to
the departments in case they are and need to add it to their index.  The
Records Management department tracks only the record series in the box -
From date to date, from alpha to alpha or number to number.  We encourage
departments who forsee the need to drill down to the file or document to
index at their level and keep it on Access or Excel (we're Microsoft.)  The
only information we give the offsite storage providers is the department's
cost center number.

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member - The Orange County Chapter of ARMA International
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's website at ocarma.org
Diane Carlisle, CRM - "RM's own the rules; IT owns the tools".