From:
"A.F. Cossham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:22:01 +1300
Hi Kristina

Going by what your instructions were, I'd put:

Florida. Tallahassee. Leon County. Public Welfare Dept.
Texas. Dallas. Parks Dept.
United States Government. Treasury Dept. Internal Revenue Service.

I can give you chapter and verse according to the cataloguing rules AACR2R,
but that won't help if it isn't what your instructor is working to. But,
it's a good set of rules, and this is what the Library of Congress says (or
I've gone from a parallel heading):

AACR2R:
Dallas (Tex.). Parks Dept.

Florida. Leon County. Public Welfare Dept.

United States. Internal Revenue Service.
    [Cataloguing doesn't use the word government in these headings, in the
same way that it doesn't use the word state - the name of the country in a
corporate name like this MEANS the federal/national government.
Also, this is the version given by AACR2R, which specifies that if the name
of the smallest subdivision (IRS) is distinctive enough, you can leave out
what's in the middle. This sprang from a desire to save space on catalogue
cards; computers can deal with much more information.]

Dean suggested that librarians could add things which are not there, but in
the examples you give, you'd just use what's there.

True, librarians do in some instances insert in order to provide a
distinctive heading, but inserting 'missing' words in titles is not the same
thing as dealing with corporate body headings like these.

Regards,
Amanda Cossham