From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:51:28 -0500
Colin wrote: <snip> For arguments sake however, say a company just knew that it was going to be impossible to 'manage' its emails.  Should it keep them all permanently or should it keep them for a fixed period (say 5 years) and then purge them. Which is the better risk? <snip>

Well, if I were presented with that conundrum, I think rather than provide an answer I would hand in my card key and hop the first flight to Tahiti.  I'd rather be a bum in paradise than a jailbird here!

No, seriously, I just can't accept that it is truly IMPOSSIBLE to manage email, no matter the size of the company or volume of email.  Someone who responded to me off list used a great term that I will plagiarize here ... We need to figure out how to "idiot-proof" RM as much as possible.  In the case you describe, to some degree or another, the masses will have to be enlisted to participate in the process; however it is our (RM) genius that should be harnessed to develop the plastic bubble that the masses should be confined to.

I know, I didn't answer your question ... There is still a very real, very serious problem that keeps Exchange servers teetering on the edge of collapse on a daily basis - and one shouldn't ignore the good while waiting for the perfect.  So, is there a Band-Aid approach that will relieve the immediate problem and buy time to devise the perfect?  The answer is ... Probably, but no one Band-Aid will look like another.  Archiving all email might be right for some, or some combination of archiving and destruction ... It all depends on your particular infrastructure, risk tolerance, available resources, etc.

Here, we purchased an "email archiving" product to relieve the stress on the Exchange server (and honestly, I think some thought it was the actual "solution" to the problem ... At least until it was explained that it wasn't).  It is not our Nirvana, but it has bought us some time.

Well, I could wax poetic all afternoon, but I've got to run to my son's end-of-season baseball party.  Everyone have a fantastic evening!

Julie

Julie Colgan
Manager of Records Services
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
Tel: 404.873.8164
Fax: 404.439.1811
[log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask] >

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.