From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:50:48 -0600
There is no question that a chronological file is very important
historically; we've
recently received an intact chronological files from Student Affairs which
runs from
1967 to 1979...and since the University opened in 1967, this tells us the
topical
concerns and issues in each year (especially the protests/Vietname in
1968-1970
period).

As University Archivist, however, I am not in a position to tell offices HOW
to keep
their files.    There are many offices that we get subject files from.   On
our inventories
we can describe these files with ranges of dates and topics (e.g.  Student
Protests,
1967-1974).    We are also able to acquire the annual reports of each office
which help identify the projects and issues at the time.

Whether an office keeps chronological files, subject files, or both is a
decision of the
individual office.    What the archivist and records manager could do is to
produce a
small campus-wide subject guide so that offices have some conformity in
topics they
choose.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections/West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750