From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:11:03 -0600
My experience with using both subject and chronological goes back to the
days of paper-only records.  In those days offices that I was assigned to
used both, especially for outgoing correspondence.

The problem with subject-based filing was that assigning "subjects" was open
to interpretation.  Three different people may have three or more different
ideas of an appropriate "subject" to assign.  We'd use the chrono file when
we couldn't find something filed where we thought it should be but we had an
idea of when it was filed.

Gary Vocks
Records Management Officer
Southern Illinois University