From:
Chris Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:25:07 -0700
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie to the ListServe, and thank you all so much for the insight
which regularly appears here. I have learned a lot and really enjoyed
'lurking' around reading the conversations here - so much so in fact
that today I decided to join!

Our HR department has asked me to help them with a research project.
They are trying to determine best practice for handling Personnel files
for employees on expat assignment. Currently we keep the file in the
employee's country of origin for assignments less than two years (our
average assignment is six months to one year); at that point we consider
the assignment long term and send the file to the country where the
employee is assigned.

My questions for you all are these: how are others handling Personnel
files for employees out of the country on expat? Are these files usually
sent along with the employee, or are they retained within their country
of origin or citizenship for a certain period of time? What statute
considerations, domestic and international, exist that might be
applicable? Are there laws governing anything here, such as sending an
employee's personal information out of their country of origin? (I have
heard in the past that certain European countries might have laws
governing this, but as of yet my research has turned up nothing.)
Any insight that you could offer would be very much appreciated.
Happy posting!

Chris Browne
Records Research Coordinator
Micron Technology, Inc.