From:
Bonnie Gawf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:05:31 -0800
Hi I'm new to the listserv (actually back after being gone for several
years). I'm the City Clerk in Monterey, CA & we're implementing a
city-wide records management program. Our city government is over 150
years old, we've never had this before--every department/division has
always done their own thing. As you can imagine, it's a huge job. We've
established a numerical functional index for our records and are in the
process of converting all of our hard copy files to this new system.
Eventually, we plan to purchase Records Management Software with an
associated electronic imaging capabilities, so we can track paper &
electronic documents all in one package.

In the interim, I would like to set up an Access database to track
active & inactive records. Right now, we use Excel & it is inadequate
for the number of records we have. I think our new indexing system would
work well in conjunction with Access, & hopefully I would be able to
populate any commercial application that we purchase with the records
from Access. Does anyone out there, particularly in a public agency, use
Access for this purpose, and would you be willing to forward a "zipped"
copy of your database to me so I could use it as an example to set up my
tables, queries, etc? It would be extremely helpful, rather than
starting from the ground up. Thanks for any help or advice you can give
me.

Bonnie L. Gawf, CMC
Monterey City Clerk
831-646-3935