From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:45:00 EST
Bob Dalton wrote:  ". . . .NARA is absolutely at the same level in the food
chain as the subordinates reflected in the report.  NARA does not have the
authority nor will it be
given the authority by the agency heads that currently run their own
kingdoms."

I'll just remind everyone that NARA does have the authority (if not the
resources) to evaluate record keeping at the agencies and to issue reports.  For an
example, see
http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/naracia.html which is a very interesting
publicly posted NARA assessment from 2000 of records management at a well known
agency.  As you glance through it, you can judge for yourselves whether
subordinates within the agency could have issued the same report.

To take us back to Leslie's original posting and some of the followup messages
.  My point in sending all the messages(!!) about the Kissinger records,
etc., was to illustrate the potentially vast differences in the environments in
which records managers and archivists might work.  Larry wrote, ""One of the
problems I've seen is if the individual who generated them doesn't see them as
having an enduring value, then how is it the archivist is able to override
that??"  Of course, ideally the individual generating the records, the records
manager, and the archivist (if any) and the organization's lawyer (if necessary)
would act in concert and in good faith to properly preserve the records
required by law and/or for business needs and to dispose of the rest.

But I think as opportunities arise, we should remind RIM students and others
just entering the field that there are going to be occasions and situations
where it won't work that way!  Natch, we all bring our individual perspectives
to these issues.  During the time that I worked at NARA, President Nixon's
representatives in 1987 blocked us from releasing as governmental/historically
significant some 42,000 documents.  The former President's lawyers claimed the
documents were private, personal or privileged.  They had the right to challenge
our disclosure decisions under several different categories of claims.) Under
law, material that is personal and not governmental and historically
significant is supposed to be withdrawn from NARA custody altogether and returned to
Nixon.

Disagreement over the status of over 42,000 documents obviously reflects very
differing assessments not only of public access, but of retention status and
enduring value.  For more on the eventual release to the public of the
so-called "contested" Nixon records, see
http://listserv.muohio.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9610d&L=archives&T=0&F=&S=&
P=4324
(please copy and paste the link if clicking it doesn't work--I didn't shrink
the URL (sorry, Peter!!)) and
 http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/1997/nr97-02.html .

As you know, I once worked with the Nixon tapes and files.  After NARA
released the contested files, I went back to the agency's research room and looked
through some of them again.  The release of contested items showed that Nixon
had regarded as "personal-returnable" a Haldeman note of a meeting on Vietnam
negotiations that recorded the President's comment to Henry Kissinger, "get
best deal let [President Nguyen Van] Thieu paddle his own canoe."  He also
contested release of directives to "uncover Jewish cells" at the Bureau of Labor
Statistics.  Nixon even blocked release of some notes on Watergate ("put it on
Mitchell - we're protecting him adds up P is protecting John Mitchell.")

Clearly, NARA's rejection of the Nixon claims against disclosure and release
of the material illustrate the extent to which the creator of a record and
archivists and/or records managers might disagree.  And that sometimes, in order
to fulfill statutory mandates, archivists have to stand up and reject the
claims of records creators.  Obviously, it's much easier for everyone when all the
stakeholders are in agreement but it just doesn't always work that way.

If any of you know of any good published sources that discuss the ethical
obligations of records managers, case studies that illustrate difficult issues of
integrity that may arise, etc., please do post links to the List.  As a
historian and former archivist, I know a fair amount about this from the archival
side, but I definitely need to learn more about the RIM side.  In fact, that's
one reason I joined this Listserv, while also sticking with my longtime
subscription to the Archives Listserv.

Maarja