From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:22:23 EST
Paul Scott has some interesting additional comments on the removal of records
by high level officials.  I'm posting this on his behalf.

"Maarja,

Our systems people still haven't sorted out my e-mail address so this
posting to the List was rejected.

Would you do me the favor of submitting it on my behalf?

Paul

Maarja and Bob's recent postings about government executives taking
records from their tenure when they leave is also demonstrated by the
following exchange from the October 12, 1991 Senate Judiciary
Committee's hearings on the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme
Court.

      SEN. BIDEN:
Judge, there was a lot of reference to the telephone logs, not so much
going through it with you, but we went through in detail with Professor
Hill. And do you have the original telephone logs, by any chance?

      JUDGE THOMAS:
I have the originals in my chambers, yes.

      SEN. BIDEN:
Yeah, okay. Because EEOC doesn't have them and Ms. Holt -- nor Ms. Holt.
So, but you have the originals?

      JUDGE THOMAS:
Those are -- I have the originals in my chambers. I was advised, I
believe, and I could be wrong, that those are my property when I left
EEOC.

      SEN. BIDEN:
I'm not suggesting they're not, I just wondered where they are, that's
all. Well, Judge --

(the hearings can be found here:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new-yitna?id=UsaThom&images=
images/modeng&data=/lv6/workspace/yitna&tag=public&part=26)

And here we have it, two of the better legal minds in the country seeing
nothing wrong with public officials taking "their" records with them.

Paul R. Scott, CA, CRM
Records Management Officer
Harris County, TX"