From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:48:40 +1100
Hugh,

I did not see your previous post; but people need to understand that whilst
encryption has its place in most instances encryption does not stop hacking.

Once a hacker has access to a system there is really little benefit of
encryption, and from a risk management perspective most access is gained not
from the interception of unencrypted data but from various phishing
techniques and ineffective security.

If I had ever other base covered I would look at encryption, but the sad
reality is that most IT infrastructure is poorly protected and the
money/effort would be better spent improving security in other areas.

For instance, before I spent a dollar on encryption, I would be looking at:

(1) Running proper background checks on my employees.
(2) Training my employees not to click every URL that confronted them.
(3) Installing effective security on the front door and giving staff ID.

Gerard