From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:06:17 EST
Pardon my lack of knowledge about scanned annotations.  Remember, I'm an
historian, not a records manager.  And I joined this List in part so I could ask
questions about issues I don't know about.  I know from looking at Recmgmt-L's
archives that CRMs and other professionals sometimes sigh when people post
questions to this List that they should know.  But this isn't in my field of
specialty so I figure I can ask you all.

I've been following comments by Sandra, Bernard et al. on images and
annotation.   I gather some of the annotations Sandra is referring to are on post-it
type notes attached to paper documents rather than written in the margins.
That got me thinking!  In scanning such items, how do you in the RIM field link
the two items, that is, how do you retain the archival integrity of the two and
preserve for future researchers the association between the two images?  Is
this done with assigned and cross linked control numbers?  If so, what is the
protocol?  I'm assuming you can't scan the document with the sticky note on it
to create a single image as that would obscure some of the content of the
other document.

I'm thinking of the type of historically interesting handwritten additions
such as those seen on the following two images (click on or download and view at
the largest setting to show the handwritten notations:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/when_nixon_met_elvis/images/chapin.jpg

or

http://media.nara.gov/media/images/22/22/22-2152a.gif

What if the comment that President Reagan telephoned rather than wrote a
letter in reply, or Haldeman's "you must be kidding" were on sticky notes attached
to these items instead of written in the margins?  How do you scan the
documents and the sticky notes and preserve their archival relationship to each
other?

Thanks in advance,

Maarja