From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:36:03 -0500
I would like to add my thanks to Dianne Hagan for her beautifully
articulated Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance Jounral letter. I especially like
her keep throwing stuff in ever-multiplying file cabinets analogy and
have bookmarked the letter for future reference.  In reading some H-net
historians' message boards over the years, it's clear to me that some
scholars only have a hazy understanding of the challenges faced by
archivists and RIM professionals.  As you all may realize, I'm here not
only to provide you all a Federal historians' perspective but also to
help carry back to historians some of the records management
perspective.

Dianne notes "Further, depending on regulatory and business
requirements (businesses and industries have unique requirements), not
all records are retained for the same length of time." Excellent point.
And, as I have tried to illustrate here recently, what works in the
private sector may not work in the governmental sector.  And vice
versa.

In some private sector organizations, you keep records as long as the
creating official needs them for his or her business needs or as long
as regulations require, then destroy them as soon as possible to limit
exposure to liability. Ideally, all the stakeholders agree and there
are no ethical conundrums. As I've pointed out, businesses have
concerns related to shareholders, consumers and competitors that
government does not have. In other organizations, the creating official
may not be best positioned to prevail in decisions on the value of his
or her records to national memory. Yet his or her power may place
records managers or archivists into very difficult positions. In the
example I cited earlier this week -- the removal of the Kissinger
telecons -- if any of you had seen Dr. Kissinger removing the records
 from the Department of State in 1977, you probably would have alerted
agency counsel.

Not only do private and public sectors RIM experts face these types of
varying dynamics, you all rely on vendors who are trying to sell you
their wares. It's fascinating for me to watch the debate over the many
issues that arise. I only wish more of my fellow historians would
immerse themselves in these issues and try to educate themselves about
the challenges you face. Again, my thanks to Dianne for an thought
provoking letter!

Maarja