From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:45:26 EST
Interesting posts from Chris and Mike.  As I've said, I don't know much about
university archivists and records managers, just what I've read.  So it's
interesting to read about these issues here.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the way various universities
handle some issues surrounding placement of archivists and librarians, consider
checking out the discussions on the Archives List.  Shelly H. Kelly in
Houston recently summarized some responses she had gotten on the issue -- see
http://listserv.muohio.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0412B&L=ARCHIVES&P=R14035&D=1&
H=0&I=-3&O=D&T=0
or
http://snipurl.com/k2vk

You'll note at the end of her posting a comment that "The only jobs I've seen
that will settle for archivists with solely archival training have been in
governmental archival settings. Dreadful places after you have worked in a
university setting."  As a Fed, I would say, "not necessarily."

My late sister and I both loved working at the National Archives and Records
Administration. (She specialized in reviewing national security-classified
records to determine what could be released and what required continued
restriction.)  At the time I worked at NARA, most archivists had a Master's in History,
some had PhDs.  Of course, much of the work at NARA requires immersion in
records dealing with U.S. political, domestic and foreign policy isssues.

I can't provide links to many examples of job announcements at NARA because I
don't think the agency has many archivist openings right now.  The only
Archivist listing I see on their website right now is one for which only current
agency employees may apply, no outsiders.   It's a GS-13 position working with
Independent Counsel and JFK Assassination Review Board records, to learn about
the duties and qualifications, see
http://snipurl.com/k2wc
and
 http://snipurl.com/k2w9 .

Because I've only worked in the governmental arena, it's interesting to read
the debates that come up on this List about archivists and records managers.
People really have differing perspectives.  I think much depends on one's
individual experiences and the type of recordkeeping environment involved.  I can
see that, as Larry pointed out, one would want to talk to the records creators
particularly at an agency which generates a lot of technical and scientific
records.  In other organizations, especially ones where political pressure can
arise, the creators may be unable to set aside self interest in determining
what should happen to their records.

Maarja